This potato dish is made very often in Sri Lankan households and it's one of my favourites. The authentic Sri Lankan tempered potatoes are not deep fried, but tempered with a little oil. Deep frying the potatoes adds more flavour to the dish. If you prefer the authentic way you can skip the deep frying.
I made the vegetarian version of tempered potatoes . The original version has pounded Maldive fish which is a staple in Sri Lankan cuisine.
These tempered potatoes can be eaten with rice, bread , string hopper, Sri Lankan hoppers and roti. This dish is very spicy so please adjust to suit your spice level.
Tempered Spicy Potatoes ( Sri Lankan Style)
500g of par boiled potatoes
3 large onions sliced
10- 12 curry leaves
2 inch cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 – 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
1-2 tsp dried red chilli flakes
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying + 1 1/2 tbsp oil for tempering
· Cut the par boiled potatoes into wedges
· Heat oil in a pan for deep frying and fry the potatoes until its slightly golden brown. Keep the fried potatoes aside.
· Keep a frying pan on medium heat ( I used a non stick pan )and add 1 1/2 tbsp of oil
· Add the mustard seeds , cinnamon stick and curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds pop.
· Next add the sliced onions and cook for 1 minute . Add the potatoes, turmeric and salt .
· Stir fry the potatoes for 5 minutes on low heat until the onions are slightly golden brown.
· Lastly add the red chilli flakes cook for a minute .
· Serve warm with rice/ roti/ bread
Happy Cooking ! :)